Be aware that this is very much a work in progress, with several stories placed provisionally until I am able to review other stories that might influence their placement.
Every entry here contains a link to the relevant review. If the timeline placement is discussed in a different review I have added a link to that one as well, in brackets. The placement of sets up to Scourge is based on the official Wizards of the Coast timeline. Later sets have been placed roughly at the right time to provide context.
- ~-100.000 AR - The Equilorians start on their path to enlightenment.
- Before -5000 - "City of Brass" (Encyclopedia Dominia) takes place, followed by "The Brass Man who would Sink" (Tapestries) (Possibly in-universe myths)
- ~ -5000 AR - The Thran
- Millennia after the Thran, centuries before the Brothers' War - Sivitri Scarzam attacks Corondor, Geyadrone Dihada attacks Corondor. Fallen Angel, Dakkon Blackblade and The Dragon War take place.
- Unknown date before Arabian Nights - Rabiah refracts into a 1001 planes. "Eater of the Infinite" (Encyclopedia Dominia) happens some times after the Refraction, if it happened at all.
- Between The Dragon War and the Brothers' War - Elder Dragons and Arabian Nights take place. (Placement of the latter is contested, could also be shortly after the Brother's War.)
- ~ -1850 - Tev Loneglade, the latter Tevesh Szat, is born. (discussion)
- -912 - Penregon founded (discussion)
- 0 - Birth of Urza, birth of Mishra
- 10 to 63 - The Brothers' War
- 63 - "Expeditions to the End of the World" (Colors of Magic)
- ~69 - The Brothers' War (epilogue), Planeswalker (prologue)
- 73 - "Loran's Smile". Shortly after that probably "Bound in Shallows" (Both Colors of Magic)
- ~80 - The first generation of Phyrexian Sleeper Agents is discovered and destroyed on Dominaria. (Planeswalker)
- ~160 - "A Song Out of Darkness"(Colors of Magic)
- ~170 - "Interrogation" (Encyclopedia Dominia), And Peace Shall Sleep, Fallen Empires (The Duelist article), Fallen Empires (comic), "Return of the Empress" (First part, Encyclopedia Dominia)
- ~300 - Dark Legacy "Inheritance" (Tapestries)
- 413 - Jodah born (discussion)
- ~418 - Lord Ith imprisoned (discussion)
- Between ~418 and ~430 - "A Monstrous Duty" (Distant Planes, discussion)
- ~430 - The Gathering Dark
- ~450 - Beginning of the Ice Age
- ~600 - Completion of the Shard (Planeswalker)
- ~1800 - Urza meets Xantcha and attacks Phyrexia (Planeswalker. Date contested, could be as early as ~350 AR)
- ~2400 - Ice Age #1 (discussion), Marit Lage rises to power before being entombed under the ocean. (discussion)
- ~2500 - Urza and Xantcha reach Serra's Realm (Planeswalker. Date contested, could be ~1900 AR or even earlier)
- Decades before 2934 - Lim-Dûl rises to power. Some time after, but still some time (probably a generation at least) before 2934 "Reprisal" (Colors of Magic) takes place (discussion)
- 2934 - End of the Ice Age, The Eternal Ice, Feast of Kjeld (discussion), The Shattered Alliance (prologue) and events similar to Ice Age #3-4 and Shandalar #1-2 take place (discussion)
THE FLOOD AGE
- Between 2934 and 2954 - The Fall of Kelsinko, Kaysa and Jaeuhl lead the Fyndhorn elves to Yavimaya. Kristina leaves Taysir. The School of the Unseen emerges from secrecy and helps found Eufan Pincar and New Sumifa. "The Crucible of the Orcs" (before 2949) and "The Mirror of Yesterday" take place. (Both Colors of Magic) (discussion)
- 2946 - Shandalar #2 (epilogue) takes place. Lim-Dûl is defeated by Azar, and the Great Barrier is formed. Centuries later the Wizards' War takes place on Shandalar. Centuries after that the Microprose's Magic: the Gathering video game happen. (discussion)
- 2954 - The Shattered Alliance, "Dark Water" (Colors of Magic)
- Between 2954 and 2956 - Kaysa and Jauehl make peace with Yavimaya.
- After the peace in Yavimaya, before the Summit of Minorad - Ravidel apprenticed to Taysir. Taysir imprisons Leshrac in Phyrexia, Ravidel duels the Ash Warlord Embereck over the Golgothian Sylex. Serra Angel takes place. (discussion)
- ~3050 - Song of Time
- ~3070 - First Festival of Estark, Kuthuman becomes Grandmaster of the Arena. (discussion)
- ~3200 - "Return of the Empress" (Second part) takes place. "The Enemy of my Enemy" happens some generations later. (Both from Encyclopedia Dominia)
- 3210 - Urza and Xantcha reach Dominaria (Planeswalker)
- ~3250 - Present Day parts of Planeswalker. The Shattered Alliance (epilogue) Parts of Terisiare are conquered by the Sheoltun Empire for 40 years. The rebellion of Epityr destabilizes the Empire, which collapses and is replaced by Benalia after a few hundred years. (discussion)
- At the end of the Flood Age - The Summit of Minorad. Minorad attacked by Ravidel. (discussion)
- 3285 - Founding of the Tolarian Academy
- 3306 to ~3360 - Time Streams
- ~ 3360 - "Angel of Vengeance" (Colors of Magic), temporary placement
- ~3360 - Scars of the Legacy, Bloodlines (prologue)
- 3385 to 3571 - Bloodlines (book I)
- ~3530 - Homelands (prologue) (discussion)
- 3655 to 3863 - Bloodlines (book II)
- ~3890 to ~4110 - Homelands (comic) (discussion)
- 4013 to 4169 - Bloodlines (Book III) & Phyrexian Autopsy
- 4130 - Homelands (set), Feroz's Ban unravels, The Slowing of his Heart (discussion)
- ~4000 to ~4200 - Introduction/Roreca's Tale, The Prodigal Sorcerer, stories in Tapestries and Distant Planes not placed anywhen else probably take place here. (discussion) The same goes for any stories from Encyclopedia Dominia not mentioned elsewhere, "Duel for Dominia" and "A History of Antiquities", both from The Duelist Supplement #1 and Mezlok's Challenge. "Goblinology" (Colors of Magic)
- ~4000 - Teferi's Isle phases out, Mangara, Kaervek and Jolrael become involved in Jamuraan politics. (discussion) "Versipellis"(Colors of Magic) Any stories from The Myths of Magic not placed anywhen else.
- 4049 - Destruction of House Oor-Tael (discussion)
- 4069 - Arena (discussion)
- 4072 - Arena (epilogue) (discussion)
- 4073 - Whispering Woods (discussion)
- 4074 - Shattered Chains (discussion)
- 4077 - Final Sacrifice
- ~4165 - Fall of Oneah (discussion)
- Years after the fall of Onaeh, but before 4205 - "Heart of Shanodin" (Tapestries) and "What Leaf Learned of Goblins" (Distant Planes) (discussion)
- 4178 - Shadowmage #1, prologue (probably) (discussion)
ROUTE TO THE INVASION
- 4178/4179 - Gerrard born (discussion)
- 4179 - Bloodlines (epilogue)
- 4185 - Shadowmage #1, second half (probably) (discussion)
- ~4185 - Ashes of the Sun (discussion)
- 4186 - Born to Greatness, part one (discussion)
- 4193 - Shadowmage #2-3, Nightmare, Shadowmage #4 (probably) (discussion), Starke interferes with Vuel's initiation (discussion)
- 4193-4195/4196 - Vuel's war against Konda and Multani (discussion)
- 4194 - Wayfarer (probably) (discussion)
- 4195-4196 - The Mirage War (discussion)
- ~4195 - Sisay's Quest (discussion)
- 4196 - Magic the Gathering: Battlemage, Visions: The Oracle, "Scalebane's Elite" (Encyclopedia Dominia)
- Between 4196 and 4205 - Mirage: Oasis (framing sequence), "Dying Breath" (Encyclopedia Dominia)
- 4198 - Gerrard, Mirri and Rofellos join the Weatherlight (discussion)
- 4201 - Born to Greatness, parts two and three (discussion)
- 4204 - Maelstrom, Torrent and Rath and Storm (first part) (discussion)
- 4205 - Rath and Storm (last three parts), Gerrard's Quest (discussion), A Time for Remembrance, Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, Nemesis (oneline story), Barrin's Journal, Prophecy, "Phyrexian Creations" (The Myths of Magic) & Invasion block
- 4305 - Odyssey block
- 4306 - Onslaught block
- Mirrodin, Ravnica and Time Spiral blocks.
- Lorwyn, Shadowmoor, Alara, Zendikar, Scars of Mirrodin, Innistrad, Return to Ravnica and Theros blocks, as well as Khans of Tarkir and Dragons of Tarkir.
- "Distant Armies" (Distant Planes) takes place some time after 6000 AR.
- Date unkown: Rath and Storm (framing sequence)
NO LONGER IN CONTINUITY
I try to put everything I can on this timeline, in order to keep as many sources as possible as part of the canon, but sometimes that is impossible. The following stories have been directly and explicitly replaced by later published sources.
- "That Going Price" (Tapestries), replaced by And Peace Shall Sleep
- Antiquities War #1-4 and Urza-Mishra War #1-2, replaced by The Brothers' War.
- Ice Age #2, replaced by The Eternal Ice.
- Ice Age #3-4 and Shandalar #1-2 can not have happened as printed, thanks to major continuity errors regarding Lim-Dûl, but the events of these comics are still references in other sources. Something similar to these stories must thus still have happened.
- Jedit Ojanen #1-2, replaced by the Legends I trilogy (Johan, Jedit and Hazezon)